Technical Service Bulletin: Powerstroke 6.0 L – Water-in-Fuel Lamp Illuminated after Draining Heated Fuel Conditioning Module
Reference Number(s): 04-9-2, Date of Issue: May 17, 2004
|FORD:||2003-2004 EXCURSION, F SUPER DUTY|
DRIVEABILITY – WATER-IN-FUEL LAMP ILLUMINATED AFTER DRAINING HEATED FUEL CONDITIONING MODULE (HFCM) – VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 11/1/2003 – 6.0L ENGINE
ENGINE – FUEL SYSTEM – WATER-IN-FUEL LAMP ILLUMINATED AFTER DRAINING HEATED FUEL CONDITIONING MODULE (HFCM) – VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO 11/1/2003 – 6.0L ENGINE
Some 2003-2004 Super Duty/Excursion vehicles built prior to 11/1/2003 equipped with the 6.0L Powerstroke, may exhibit a water-in-fuel (WIF) lamp illuminated. The lamp does not turn off after water has been drained from the horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM). This may be due to corrosion/sediment build up in the water reservoir. This build up may also cause the drain plug to stick making drain plug removal difficult.
It is not necessary to replace the HFCM. There is a new fuel manifold (3C3Z-9B249-AB) available which will correct the condition. Refer to following Service Procedure.
- Disconnect both battery ground cables. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 414-01.
- Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 100-02.
NOTE: LATE BUILD SHOWN IN WORKSHOP MANUAL, EARLY BUILD SIMILAR.
- Open the fuel/water separator drain valve to release the fuel pressure .
- Disconnect the fuel pump, fuel warmer and water-in-fuel electrical connectors from HFCM:
- Disconnect the fuel hoses from HFCM.
- Remove the fuel hose retaining clips and discard. Disconnect the fuel hoses from the fuel pump (#1).
- Press in the retaining clips and release the fuel hoses (#2).
- Remove the screws and the old fuel manifold cover.
- Inspect/clean debris from the HFCM water reservoir housing (max. 25 psi air).
- Install the new fuel manifold and screws.
- Reinstall all electrical connectors and fuel lines to the HFCM.
- Verify that there are no fuel leaks from the HFCM.
|Part Number||Part Name|
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
|040902A||Replace Fuel Manifold Following Service Procedure||0.7 Hr.|
|Basic Part No.||Condition Code|