Technical Service Bulletin: Ford Powerstroke 6.0 L – Oil Seep or Boost Pressure Leak at Hot Side Charge Air Cooler Duct
Reference Number(s): 07-5-15, Date of Issue: March 19, 2007
|FORD:||2003-2005 Excursion; 2003-2007 F-Super Duty|
Superceded Bulletin(s): 07-3-1, Date of Issue: February 19, 2007
Some 2003-2005 Excursion and 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, equipped with the 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit oil seepage or a boost pressure leak at the hot-side charge air cooler (CAC) duct assembly connections.
The hot-side CAC duct is no longer available as an assembly. Should CAC repairs become necessary, individual components must be ordered to rebuild the duct assembly. Refer to the Service Tips.
- Carefully inspect all components for holes, tears, cuts, abrasion, oil saturation or sponginess, and order only the components needing replacement. Use new clamps rather than reusing the old.
- Thoroughly clean all components, both new and reused, especially in the joint clamp areas, as well as the turbo and CAC connections, using PM-4 Motorcraft Brake Cleaner.
- If the curved turbo hose must be replaced, mark the metal duct adjacent to the faint white alignment mark on the old hose (top position in vehicle) before removing it from the duct. Then install the new hose so its alignment mark is adjacent to the mark made on the metal duct. Position and torque clamps.
- Carefully reinstall the rebuilt duct assembly. Torque all four (4) clamps to 9 lb-ft (12 N.m) only; over tightening will damage the component. Check all joints for leaks using soapy water.
If Blue (B)
- Apply a thin uniform coating of TA-31 Motorcraft RTV Silicone Sealant to the sealing surfaces of the hose and to the mating duct and fitting.
- After reassembly and reinstallation, allow to cure for three (3) hours before starting the engine. These steps will help prevent joint separation.
If Red-Orange (R-O)
- Do not apply any sealant/adhesive, as this hose has inherent adhesive properties.
|Part Number||Part Name|
|6C3Z-6C640-C||Turbo Hose – Shorter Hose (B) or (R-O) – Before 10-14-2004|
|6C3Z-6C640-A||Turbo Hose – Longer Hose (R-O) – From 10-14-2004|
|6C3Z-6C640-B||CAC Hose (R-O)|
|5C3Z-6K769-BA||Metal Duct-Dual Generator – Shorter Duct – From 10-14-2004|
|6C3Z-6K769-A||Metal Duct-Dual Generator – Longer Duct – Before 10-14-2004|
|5C3Z-6K769-AA||Metal Duct-Single Generator – Shorter Duct – From 10-14-2004|
|6C3Z-6K769-B||Metal Duct-Single Generator – Longer Duct – Before 10-14-2004|
|PM-4-B||Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner|
|TA-31||Motorcraft RTV Silicone Sealant|
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
|Basic Part No.||Condition Code|