Technical Service Bulletin: Ford Powerstroke 6.0 L – Runs Rough and/or Low Power – Injector Diagnostics
Reference Number(s): 04-9-3, Date of Issue: May 17, 2004
|FORD:||2003-2004 EXCURSION, F SUPER DUTY; 2004 ECONOLINE|
Superceded Bulletin(s): 03-14-6, Date of Issue: July 21, 2003
DRIVEABILITY – RUNS ROUGH AND/OR LOW POWER – 6.0L DIESEL ENGINE ONLY
ENGINE – FUEL IN OIL – 6.0L DIESEL – INJECTOR DIAGNOSTICS
Some vehicles equipped with the 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit engine oil diluted with fuel (OIL LEVEL MAY APPEAR OVER FULL), runs rough and/or a low power condition.
Refer to the following Service Procedure.
- Remove and clean dipstick. Reinsert into dipstick tube only until dipstick handle reaches top of dipstick tube. Remove the dipstick and inspect indicator area.
NOTE: DEMONSTRATES DIPSTICK POSITIONING FOR OVER-FULL CHECK. KEEP DIPSTICK HANDLE OFFSET OF CENTER TO PREVENT IT FROM FULLY SEATING.
- If oil level is below the MAX mark, oil is not overfull. Verify latest calibration and go to PCED diagnosis for runs rough, and/or low power condition. Do not continue with this TSB.
- If oil is above MAX mark, remove the oil pan drain plug and drain oil (including oil filter housing). LEAVE THE PLUG OUT DO NOT ADD ANY OIL AT THIS TIME. Proceed to Step 2.
- Inspect turbocharger per section 303-04D of Workshop Manual to verify that the turbocharger was not damaged by oil dilution.
- Add ONE (1) ounce of ultra violet (UV) oil dye (compatible with diesel engines) to fuel filter housing.
NOTE: STEPS 4-6 WILL NEED TO BE REPEATED FOR LEFT BANK.
- Block the fuel line to the left head at the secondary fuel filter housing.
- Remove the left bank fuel line from the connection point at the secondary fuel filter housing.
- Remove the brass adaptor screwed into the filter housing.
- Remove the fuel pressure test port plug from the front of the secondary fuel filter housing.
- Install the plug in the left bank outlet port.
- Install fuel pressure adaptor (#303-765) and fuel pressure gage at test port (used to confirm constant pressure).
- Turn on fuel pump using WDS “Active Commands”.
NOTE: DTCS MAY BE SET IN THE PCM BY USING ACTIVE COMMANDS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DIAGNOSE DTCS SET DURING ACTIVE COMMANDS.
- Visually inspect oil pan drain hole for fuel dye using ultra-violet (black) light.
- If no dye is observed within a ten (10) minute period proceed to checking opposite bank fuel components. If both sides do not leak after ten (10) minutes, change oil and filter and continue with normal diagnosis for overfilled crankcase condition. Do not proceed with this TSB.
- If fuel dye is observed, turn off fuel pump, suspect a fuel leak on that bank (or banks), and continue performing TSB.
- Remove appropriate valve cover(s).
- Check for loose injector end clamp hold-down bolts by verifying proper torque per Workshop Manual Section 303-04D.
CAUTION: REMOVAL AND/OR INSTALLATION OF AN INJECTOR SHOULD ONLY BE PERFORMED WITH HAND TOOLS. USE OF AIR/POWER TOOLS WILL DAMAGE INJECTOR O-RINGS.
- If all are within specification, proceed to Step 9.
- If loose injector(s) end clamp bolt(s) are found perform the following, then proceed to Step 9:
- Remove loose injector(s).
- Inspect the injector body, injector body O-rings, and copper combustion seal at the injector tip for damage.
- Replace damaged components as necessary.
- Turn fuel pump on. Use ultra-violet light to inspect fuel system components in head(s) for leakage. Repair as necessary.
NOTE: VISUALLY INSPECT FOR A STEADY FLOW OR AN EVIDENT DYE TRAIL OR PUDDLE WITH A PATH LEADING TO THE OIL DRAIN-BACKS TRACE AMOUNTS OF DYE AT FUEL INJECTOR WEEP-HOLE AREAS ARE NORMAL.
- Following any repair, clean the top of the head with brake cleaner and dry thoroughly, especially on the down-side of the injectors. Turn the fuel pump on and retest fuel components for leaks.
- Check the Charge Air Cooler (CAC) for fuel and/or oil. Clean the CAC and dry with shop air thoroughly before reinstalling.
- Reinstall oil pan drain plug, refill with new engine oil and install new oil filter.
- Road test twenty (20) miles.
- Change engine oil and oil filter again.
- Once the oil is drained, run the fuel pump with WDS.
- Final Repair Verification – Watch for fuel at the drain (ten (10) min/max.) Return to Step 2 if any fuel is observed.
- Clear DTCs set during Output State Control of fuel pump or other actuators.
|Part Number||Part Name|
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage.